Wednesday 12 October 2011

The Laziest Vegans Food Swap.

I have always loved food shopping, but since I turned vegan I have loved it even more.
I know it's sad but I get really excited when I find new foods I can eat, or when foods I couldn't eat are modified so I can eat them.
When I go on holiday (which is rare these days due to lack of funds) it's always a bit of a challenge to see if I can eat a lot of things/what they are etc. However there is nothing more exciting than finding vegan foods which I can't get at home. Yes it can be a bit heartbreaking to find the best treat ever and only be able to have a holiday fling with it, but that's the luck of the draw.

One place which I have yet to visit and would love to purely for the vegan food is the USA. Their vegan store website alone makes me drool at all the possibilities. When I lived in London I took full advantage of the American selection of food available at places like Whole Foods and Planet Organic, but it wasn't enough!
I love reading the Laziest Vegans food blog, and "like" them on facebook. I nearly jumped for joy when John posted a discussion thread about a food swap and agreed to swap internationally with me.
We decided to send each other a "lucky dip" package of non-perishable foods (it'd be stupid to send each other vegan cheese etc, even though that's what I'm dying to try!) up to the value of $20 (that's about £13, but I ended up rounding it up to £15 worth).
I got to work collecting my favourite packaged goodies and off I went to the post office.

My parcel arrived on Monday! Really impressed with how quick it got to me, and even more impressed with what was inside!
MARSHMALLOWS!

The were all Sweet & Sara products which I've always wanted to try!

These are "Pumpkin Spice" Marshmallows. If I'm honest I was a bit put off by the label as I really dislike cinnamon and nutmeg spices, but I gave them a try. They are nicer than I though. The actual marshmallows are an amazing consistency and really sweet. The flavouring isn't too strong but I can only have about 2 in a row without being overpowered by cinnamon (yuck!) Obviously I only dislike the flavour due to personal preference as the marshmallow is good. I have passed these onto my dad (who is also vegan) and he's loving them! He loves nutmeg and cinnamon so it's a perfect match.

Next up are Toasted Coconut Marshmallows. I LOVE these! Again they're the same consistency of the previous marshmallows (basically Sweet & Sara have perfected the art of vegan marshmallows) but they are covered in toasted coconut. I've recently become a bit obsessed with coconuts, using coconut body lotion and shower gel and eating chocolate coconut bars (yet I still don't like coconut water), so these are just great!
I've let my dad try one, but I'm keeping these!


Next are the limited edition (I'm assuming!) Halloween editions. I've not ate these yet, but I can tell they will be amazing!

Peanut Butter Smores. I will have to share some of this with my dad has he also loves peanut butter. Again I've not tried this yet. Apart from trying to make these treats last I'm also trying to stick to my diet to keep on track for my birthday in a couple of weeks. The temptation is so great! I'll probably have this either later today or tomorrow so will get back to you on the taste but I'm sure it will be amazing!

Last but certainly not least is a Rice Crispy Treat. I LOVE THESE! I made a vegan Easter egg shaped rice crispy treat at Easter time, and was the first time I'd had one since turning vegan. I can't wait to try this! But as it's probably going to be my favourite item I'm saving it for last (best till last and all that).


Overall I'm really pleased with my food swap.
Hopefully John will have his now (or very soon) and enjoys his goodies - can't wait to hear what he thinks. I'm definitely up for more swaps, so if anyone is interested please let me know :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you got everything ok :) Other fun US Vegan store websites are http://www.veganessentials.com http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com and http://foodfightgrocery.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! Ate the rice crispy treat earlier on (finally!) and it was amazing! My favourite of the items!
    I'll check out those links, but don't think I'll place an order anytime soon as having serious lack of funds at the moment and I'm betting the shipping costs will be high :(
    Hope your parcel gets to you soon, sure you'll love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won some of the Halloween ones in his giveaway and that chocolate bat is king! SO NICE!

    ReplyDelete